Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalData to bring to you a clear and an unbiased view of the company’s key strengths and weaknesses and the potential opportunities and threats. The profile helps you formulate strategies that augment your business by enabling you to understand your partners, customers and competitors better.
The profile contains critical company information including:
- Business description – A detailed description of the company’s operations and business divisions.
- Corporate strategy – Analyst’s summarization of the company’s business strategy.
- SWOT Analysis – A detailed analysis of the company’s strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats.
- Company history – Progression of key events associated with the company.
- Major products and services – A list of major products, services and brands of the company.
- Key competitors – A list of key competitors to the company.
- Key employees – A list of the key executives of the company.
- Executive biographies – A brief summary of the executives’ employment history.
- Key operational heads – A list of personnel heading key departments/functions.
- Important locations and subsidiaries – A list and contact details of key locations and subsidiaries of the company.
- Detailed financial ratios for the past five years – The latest financial ratios derived from the annual financial statements published by the company with 5 years history.
- Interim ratios for the last five interim periods – The latest financial ratios derived from the quarterly/semi-annual financial statements published by the company for 5 interims history.
Caterpillar Inc. (Caterpillar) is a manufacturer of construction, transportation and energy equipment. It designs, manufactures, markets and sells construction and mining equipment, industrial gas turbines, forestry machinery, diesel and natural gas engines, and diesel-electric locomotives. It also offers retail and wholesale financing plans such as operating and finance leases, working capital loans, installment sale contracts and wholesale financing plans to customers and dealers for the purchase and lease of equipment. Its service portfolio includes remanufacturing and progress rail services. The company markets and sells its products in several countries across North and South America, Asia-Pacific, Africa, the Middle East and Europe. Caterpillar is headquartered in Peoria, Illinois, the US.
Caterpillar Inc. Key Recent Developments
Feb 09, 2017: Caterpillar Announces Executive Officer Retirement
Jan 31, 2017: Caterpillar To Establish Global Headquarters In Chicago Area
Jan 26, 2017: Caterpillar Reports 2016 Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Financial Results; Provides Outlook for 2017
Dec 23, 2016: Caterpillar Announces Vice President Retirements and Appointments
Dec 23, 2016: Caterpillar Announces Executive Office Appointments and Changes
Key benefits of buying this profile include:
You get detailed information about the company and its operations to identify potential customers and suppliers.
- The profile analyzes the company’s business structure, operations, major products and services, prospects, locations and subsidiaries, key executives and their biographies and key competitors.
Understand and respond to your competitors’ business structure and strategies, and capitalize on their weaknesses. Stay up to date on the major developments affecting the company.
- The company’s core strengths and weaknesses and areas of development or decline are analyzed and presented in the profile objectively. Recent developments in the company covered in the profile help you track important events.
Equip yourself with information that enables you to sharpen your strategies and transform your operations profitably.
- Opportunities that the company can explore and exploit are sized up and its growth potential assessed in the profile. Competitive and/or technological threats are highlighted.
Scout for potential investments and acquisition targets, with detailed insight into the companies’ strategic, financial and operational performance.
- Financial ratio presented for major public companies in the profile include the revenue trends, profitability, growth, margins and returns, liquidity and leverage, financial position and efficiency ratios.
Gain key insights into the company for academic or business research.
- Key elements such as SWOT analysis, corporate strategy and financial ratios and charts are incorporated in the profile to assist your academic or business research needs.
Note: Some sections may be missing if data is unavailable for the company
Table of Contents
Table of Contents 2
List of Tables 4
List of Figures 5
Section 1 - About the Company 6
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Facts 6
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Employees 7
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Employee Biographies 9
Caterpillar Inc. - Major Products and Services 10
Caterpillar Inc. - History 12
Caterpillar Inc. - Company Statement 23
Caterpillar Inc. - Locations And Subsidiaries 24
Head Office 24
Other Locations & Subsidiaries 24
Joint Venture 27
Section 2 Â– Company Analysis 28
Caterpillar Inc. - Business Description 28
Business Description - Financial Products 28
Financial Products - Overview 28
Financial Products - Financials 28
Business Description - Machinery, Energy & Transportation 29
Machinery, Energy & Transportation - Overview 29
Machinery, Energy & Transportation - Financials 29
Caterpillar Inc. - SWOT Analysis 30
SWOT Analysis - Overview 30
Caterpillar Inc. - Strengths 30
Caterpillar Inc. - Weaknesses 31
Caterpillar Inc. - Opportunities 32
Caterpillar Inc. - Threats 33
Caterpillar Inc. - Key Competitors 34
Section 3 Â– Company Financial Ratios 35
Financial Ratios - Capital Market Ratios 35
Financial Ratios - Annual Ratios 36
Performance Chart 38
Financial Performance 38
Financial Ratios - Interim Ratios 39
Financial Ratios - Ratio Charts 40
Caterpillar Inc., Recent Deals Summary 41
Section 4 Â– CompanyÂ’s Recent Developments 42
Feb 09, 2017: Caterpillar Announces Executive Officer Retirement 42
Jan 31, 2017: Caterpillar To Establish Global Headquarters In Chicago Area 43
Jan 26, 2017: Caterpillar Reports 2016 Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year Financial Results; Provides Outlook for 2017 44
Dec 23, 2016: Caterpillar Announces Executive Office Appointments and Changes 46
Oct 25, 2016: Caterpillar Reports Third-quarter 2016 Results 47
Oct 19, 2016: CMA CGM Signs A First Memorandum Of Understanding With ENGIE 49
Oct 17, 2016: Caterpillar Chairman And CEO Doug Oberhelman Elects To Retire In 2017; Jim Umpleby Elected As Caterpillar's Next CEO; Dave Calhoun To Become Non-executive Chairman Of The Board 50
Sep 29, 2016: Caterpillar Affirms Commitment to Egypt's Infrastructure Development 52
Sep 12, 2016: Caterpillar Again Named to Dow Jones Sustainability Indices 53
Sep 02, 2016: Caterpillar Contemplates Allocation Of Production From Gosselies Belgium To Other Manufacturing Facilities 54
Section 5 Â– Appendix 55
Ratio Definitions 55
About GlobalData 59
Contact Us 59
List of Figures
Caterpillar Inc., Performance Chart (2012 - 2016) 38
Caterpillar Inc., Ratio Charts 40
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.