The Roll to Roll Printing market is expected to register a CAGR of 13% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026. Factors such as low cost and high throughput are the major differences of this printing technique from conventional printing such as batch processing which involves multiple steps.
- Roll to Roll printing is used in creating electronics devices on a roll of flexible plastic or metal foil. As the the demand for these products increase, manufacturers are trying to adopt roll to roll printing to increase their production capacity.
- Further, the increased use of flexible electronics in healthcare and other related applications is expected to create a positive impact on this market.
- The Horizon 2020 Necomada project, which involved a consortium of 13 industry partners, has improved market accessibility by developing conductive inks and flexible adhesives that enable high-speed roll-to-roll manufacture of flexible electronics.
Key Market Trends
North America to be a Substantial Market
- The North American region is expected to have a significant market share due to the increase in the demand for flexible electronics which uses Roll-to-Roll printing is expected to drive the market in the region.
- The United States, along with other regions like Europe has been keen on Roll-to-Roll (R2R) technologies for a long time now, with flexible electronics as a focus. Europe for instance, over the last 10 years, has had significant investments in R2R 660 manufacturing and related printing plate-to-plate for displays and 661 RFIDs.
- The U.S. federal government has also been promoting the development of the region's capabilities in flexible electronics through numerous institutional channels in the defense, civilian among others.
- With the launch of foldable smartphones in 2019, the demand for flexible OLED displays is also expected to increase. The US being looked at as a potential market for such flexible eletronics, the need for the number of manufacturers adopting the roll to roll printing technique is expected to increase further.
Automotive Segment to Drive the Market Growth
- Roll to Roll Printing can be used in manufacturing flexible electronics which are making a significant impact in various markets, with the automotive sector providing substantial opportunities.
- Whether it is sensors, OLED displays, and lighting, in-mold electronics, printed heaters or other applications, the market is expected to witness massive opportunities in the automotive industry.
- As vehicles continue to get smarter and more electronically sophisticated, new challenges are introduced throughout the production process. Factors in consumer preference considerations and growing safety requirements, and the need for faster and efficient means of manufacturing of these flexible electronics is likely to impact the market positively.
The Roll to Roll Printing market is fairly fragmented and competitive due to the presence of international vendors. Some of the key players of this market are Nissha GSI Technologies, Inc., 3M Co, LG Display Co., Ltd., Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., among others.
- In December 2018, E Ink unveiled one of its writing technology platforms, JustWrite film, which delivers a natural writing experience without the use of a TFT backplane. The film can be produced via roll to roll manufacturing typical of E Ink’s electronic paper, and requires only a writing stylus and simple electronics to enable functionality.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers?
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT (Printing Technologies)
5 MARKET DYNAMICS?
5.1 Market Drivers?
5.2 Market Restraints
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Application
6.1.4 Photovoltaics Cells
6.2 By End-User Industry
6.2.1 Consumer Electronics
6.2.2 Automotive and Transportation
6.2.4 Aerospace and Defense
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Key Vendor Profiles
7.1.1 E Ink Holdings, Inc.
7.1.2 Nissha GSI Technologies, Inc.
7.1.3 3M Co
7.1.4 LG Display Co., Ltd.
7.1.5 Sumitomo Electric Industries Inc.
7.1.6 Thin Film Electronics ASA
7.1.7 Fujikura Ltd.
7.1.8 Multek Corporation
7.1.9 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
8 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Secondary Research Information is collected from a number of publicly available as well as paid databases. Public sources involve publications by different associations and governments, annual reports and statements of companies, white papers and research publications by recognized industry experts and renowned academia etc. Paid data sources include third party authentic industry databases.
Once data collection is done through secondary research, primary interviews are conducted with different stakeholders across the value chain like manufacturers, distributors, ingredient/input suppliers, end customers and other key opinion leaders of the industry. Primary research is used both to validate the data points obtained from secondary research and to fill in the data gaps after secondary research.
The market engineering phase involves analyzing the data collected, market breakdown and forecasting. Macroeconomic indicators and bottom-up and top-down approaches are used to arrive at a complete set of data points that give way to valuable qualitative and quantitative insights. Each data point is verified by the process of data triangulation to validate the numbers and arrive at close estimates.
The market engineered data is verified and validated by a number of experts, both in-house and external.
REPORT WRITING/ PRESENTATION
After the data is curated by the mentioned highly sophisticated process, the analysts begin to write the report. Garnering insights from data and forecasts, insights are drawn to visualize the entire ecosystem in a single report.